Category Archives: news

LFC have not made a third bid for Naby Keita

Suggestions of a new £74 million bid for the Guinea international are incorrect, with the Reds having not followed up their second offer, which was tabled and rejected last Monday.

That £66m proposal was not the limit of the Merseysiders’ financial will to land the 22-year-old, but with the Bundesliga side again underscoring that no amount of money would force them to sell Keita, increasing the figure would prove unavailing.

Goal revealed a deal would be “practically impossible this summer” given Leipzig’s refusal to soften their stance, and while Jurgen Klopp has been patient in his pursuit of the dynamo.

Liverpool hope his desire to move to Anfield remains intact next summer, when a £48m escape clause can be triggered to land the Guinean.

The Reds boss has been reluctant to deviate from his first-choice options as he does not want to merely add to the squad, but genuinely elevate the quality in it.

“We are not afraid of big numbers at the club,” Klopp explained to Goal.

“We are not afraid to spend, but we have to do the right things, look at the right players and negotiate with the right clubs.”

Source: Goal.com

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Arsenal and Liverpool make enquiries for Leicester star

The Algerian has made no secret of his desire to leave the Foxes this summer.

Widespread reports suggest Mahrez favours a move to the Gunners to work under Arsene Wenger despite the north London outfit unable to offer Champions League football.

Italian giants Roma are showing the strongest interest in the winger but discussions over a £30million offer plus add-ons are well short of Leicester's valuation.

With prices in the transfer window reaching an all-time high, Leicester are holding out for closer to £50m, the Daily Mail claim.

Speaking on Friday, manager Craig Shakespeare confirmed Roma had lodged a bid for Leicester's star asset.

“I think I was quoted as saying on the last press day there had been no bids,” he said.

“There has been a bid from Roma. I was told afterwards so I want to put the record straight.

“It was politely declined on the basis it was a low offer.”

And with Leicester refusing to sell to Roma, and Mahrez keen to stay in England, Liverpool and Arsenal have asked to be kept informed of any developments.

Mahrez managed to find the net just 10 times last season but his performances in his first debut Premier League season showcased the potential he has.

Mahrez remains under contract with Leicester until 2020.

Source: Daily Express

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Liverpool may return for Keita swoop next year

After seeing successive bids rejected for the 22-year-old Guinea international, Liverpool do not intend to increase their last offer of £66 million.

Instead – unless there is major u-turn from the Bundesliga side and willingness to re-open negotiations – Liverpool will return in 12 months time by which time Keita’s exit clause of £48 million will change the landscape.

Leipzig have never shifted position since Liverpool made their official moves for the player, with respective bids of £57 million and £66 million. Jurgen Klopp would have broken a club transfer record by £30 million had the last offer been accepted, but the rebuttal of such a staggering sum underlined the Germans were not bluffing with the public statements insisting there would be no sale.

The Keita stalemate will be a source of frustration for Klopp and present him with a dilemma. He has made it clear he does not want to compromise the quality of his targets and Keita was the man he wanted most to improve his midfield options.

If Klopp is to pursue an alternative – albeit reluctantly – he will want to make moves sooner rather than later as the Champions League qualifier is just three weeks away.

Klopp will be confident of winning the race for Keita eventually for a lot less than on offer now. The player has said nothing since Liverpool’s offers were made public, but the Merseysiders will feel in pole position should the midfielder decide to leave after another year at Leipzig.

Source: Telegraph

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Rumours: Liverpool set to shelve interest in Naby Keita?

The Reds have becoming increasingly pessimistic over their chances of concluding the long-running transfer saga this summer and are now preparing to put their plans on hold.

Liverpool have seen successive offers for the 22-year-old rejected by his club RB Leipzig and do not intend to up their last bid of £66million.

Anfield chiefs initially came in with a £57million package which was turned down before coming back with their improved deal but the Bundesliga outfit have remained steadfast that they don't want to part with their most prized asset this year.

The German side, who are preparing for their debut campaign in the Champions League, have insisted all along that the Guinean international is not for sale.

Keita himself is believed to be keen on the move to Merseyside and Liverpool reckon they'll be at the front of the queue to land him in 12 months time.

Source: Liverpool Echo

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

RB Leipzig rule out Naby Keita sale

Earlier this week, the German club said they had rejected a bid of over £67m from an unnamed club.

Sky sources understand Liverpool have had three bids rejected for the midfielder.

The Guinea international has a £48m release clause in his contract, although that does not become active until next summer.

Leipzig sporting director Ralph Rangnick is trying to convince Keita to sign a new contract and recently said the club, which has qualified for the Champions League for the first time, would not be selling any of its key players.

Left back Andy Robertson became Liverpool's third signing of the summer when he completed his £10m move from Hull City on Friday, joining Mohamed Salah and Dominic Solanke.

Source: Sky Sports

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Liverpool planning a third offer for Naby Keita

The Merseyside club however feel that could finally be enough to persuade Leipzig, who have so far been completely unmoving in their stance that the player is not for sale.

German sources close to the negotiations feel it has become almost a matter of principle to keep Keita, and have been steadfast in their attitude, but a bid of that size could prove extremely persuasive.

There is an extra edge to the situation given that the 22-year-old Guinean midfielder has a clause in his contract meaning he can leave for £48m next summer, so the size of such an offer from Liverpool – a 56 per cent mark-up on a player they are almost certain to eventually lose – could well convince them to a deal.

The Merseyside club have previously had bids of £57.3m and £66m rejected for the player, who greatly desires a move to Anfield, but has so far just gone about his business with Leipzig and not in any way agitated for a move.

Leipzig owner Dietrich Mateschitz said to Sport Bild on Wednesday that it was not a matter of finance.

“We don’t sell any of our players just to get money. Lately we got a €75m offer for Naby Keita. No way!

“He has a contract and he will fulfil it. To sell him would not only be a proof of distrust to our fans but also the wrong sign for our players like Timo Werner, who is in demand too.”

Source: Independent

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Liverpool to launch new bid for Keita

Liverpool are keen to sign Keita and have previously failed with offers of £57m and £66m.

The Reds are determined to make a marquee signing this transfer window with Jurgen Klopp eying a Premier League title bid next season.

Liverpool are yet to win the league in its modern format with their last triumph coming back in 1990 – back when Kenny Dalglish was in charge.

The Merseysiders also have Champions League football to contend with, and Klopp knows more is needed if they are to challenge for silverware on all fronts.

And the Independent says Liverpool feel they can land No1 target Keita with a final offer worth £75m.

It is said they feel a bid of that size could force Leipzig into selling, with the Bundesliga side previously standing firm.

They are willing to pay £40m upfront with the rest of the money coming if certain clauses are met.

Keita is said to want a move to Anfield but has not done anything to manoeuvre a move away from his current club.

The Guinea international signed for Leipzig from sister club Red Bull Salzburg last summer for just £12.75m.

He helped the German side finish second last term, two points clear of Borussia Dortmund but 15 points behind champions Bayern Munich.

Source: Daily Express

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Liverpool announce signing of Andy Robertson

Robertson joins the Reds for a fee believed to be around £10million, becoming their third signing of the summer.

The Scotland left-back will provide competition for James Milner.

Robertson said: “It feels a wee bit surreal just now. Obviously I’m delighted. There’s been a lot of speculation over the last couple of weeks but I’m glad that the deal’s finally been done and I’m a Liverpool player.

“My family are proud of what I’ve achieved so far and they’re all over the moon with the move, as well as me of course. We’re all just looking forward to being part of the Liverpool family now.

“There’s not many, if any, more special clubs than Liverpool. When you grow up as a kid you dream of playing with big clubs such as Liverpool and to make that a reality is a dream come true for me.

“I just want to prove to people that I can do it at this level, and hopefully I manage to do that this season and go on to do good things for this club.”

The 23-year-old will wear the No.26 shirt for Liverpool.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp paid tribute to Robertson and is confident there is much more to come from the defender.

“For Andrew this is another big step on what has been a quite incredible personal journey in a very short space of time,” he told Liverpoolfc.com.

“I love his story; where he has come from professionally to reach this point.

“When you speak to him it is clear why he makes his progress. He has a burning love for playing football – he really loves the game.

“His attitude is outstanding – absolutely outstanding. His talent and skills – also very, very good.

“He has experience of this competition, the Premier League, and he has the mentality and quality to get even better.

“I know our environment will benefit him and help him push himself even more than he has already. This is a player who does not limit his ambition, I think.”

Source: Daily Express

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Liverpool sign Andy Robertson from Hull City

The 23-year-old joins on what the Reds describe as a “long-term contract” for an initial fee of £8m plus add-ons.

“It feels a bit surreal but I'm delighted. There are not more special clubs than Liverpool,” he said.

The defender joined Hull from Dundee United for £2.85m in 2014 and made 39 appearances last season as the Tigers were relegated from the Premier League.

He added: “When you grow up as a kid you dream of playing with big clubs such as Liverpool and to make that a reality is a dream come true for me.

“I just want to prove to people that I can do it at this level, and hopefully I manage to do that this season and do good things for this club.”

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp added: “For Andrew, this is another big step on what has been a quite incredible personal journey in a very short space of time.

“I know our environment will benefit him and help him push himself even more than he has already. This is a player who does not limit his ambition.”

United will receive about £600,000 from the deal – paid over the next two or three years – as a sell-on clause for a player they signed from amateur club Queen's Park in 2013.

Robertson is Liverpool's third summer signing following the arrival of Roma winger Mohamed Salah and Chelsea striker Dominic Solanke.

Eight other Premier League sides, as well as PSV Eindhoven and Sporting Lisbon, were reportedly interested in the left-back.

Having played as an amateur in Scottish's fourth tier as recently as 2013, a move to Liverpool tops a rapid rise for Robertson.

Within nine months of moving from Queen's Park in Scottish League Two to Premiership side Dundee United, Robertson made his Scotland debut as a 19-year-old.

He was voted PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year in his only season at Tannadice – scoring five goals in 44 games – before moving to Hull.

Robertson became a regular for the Tigers – making 115 appearances in three seasons. He has twice suffered relegation from the Premier League, but also won promotion via the play-offs in 2016.

Source: BBC

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Robertson seals Reds move

The two clubs settled on a £10m fee for the Scotland left-back earlier this week, and Robertson has since passed a medical and agreed personal terms.

The 23-year-old leaves Hull after three seasons and is Liverpool's third summer signing after deals for Dominic Solanke and Mohamed Salah.

He told the Liverpool website: “It feels a wee bit surreal just now. Obviously I'm delighted. There's been a lot of speculation over the last couple of weeks but I'm glad that the deal's finally been done and I'm a Liverpool player.

“My family are proud of what I've achieved so far and they're all over the moon with the move, as well as me of course. We're all just looking forward to being part of the Liverpool family now.

“There's not many, if any, more special clubs than Liverpool. When you grow up as a kid you dream of playing with big clubs such as Liverpool and to make that a reality is a dream come true for me.

“I just want to prove to people that I can do it at this level, and hopefully I manage to do that this season and go on to do good things for this club.”

Hull have signed Liverpool midfielder Kevin Stewart, meanwhile, in a transfer which is not part of the deal to take Robertson to Anfield.

The fee for Stewart could eventually rise to £7.5m, and he told the Hull website: “I'm delighted to sign for the club, I can't wait to get started and get my boots on. It's an exciting move for me and I'm looking forward to the challenge ahead.”

Stewart, 23, has signed a three-year contract three years after arriving at Anfield from Tottenham.

Source: Sky Sports

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.